Info & Communications Technology
To leverage on technology for
- effective teaching and learning to enhance and deepen learning through active participation and discussions
- more customised and targeted monitoring and feedback
- the development of 21st century competencies in students and staff
- the professional development of teachers
The ICT Department oversees 3 subjects, mainly Computer Applications, Elements of Business Skills and the General Music Programme. The staff and students are supported by an ICT Executive, an ICT Training Executive and two Technology Assistants.
Computer Applications (CPA)
CPA enables students
- to acquire skills in using a variety of application software and associated computer hardware, to accomplish tasks, develop an awareness of how computing technology is used in the home and society.
Selected animations produced by Sec 2 and 3 students during their lessons on coding may be submitted for competitions at inter-school level.
Elements of Business Skills (EBS)
EBS enables students to develop basic understanding of
- business activities, basic marketing concepts and customer relations skills in the travel and tourism, hospitality and retail industries.
At the end of the Sec 3 syllabus, students are brought to retail areas in Singapore such as the Resorts World Sentosa, Universal Studios, the Alive Museum as well as neighbourhood retails stores to understand how the concerts studied are applied in businesses.
General Music Programme (GMP)
The GMP offered to lower secondary students provides opportunities for students to listen, sing, play and express themselves musically. The objectives of the GMP are:
- to develop an awareness and appreciation of music in local and global cultures
- to develop the ability for creative expression and communication through music
- to provide the basis to develop an informed and life-long involvement in music.
With guidance from the music teachers, students will learn to listen, watch, imitate, create sounds and actions, and eventually, demonstrate their creativity in being able to compose, improvise and perform individually and collaboratively.
In addition, all lower secondary students will learn the basic skills of playing and creating music using the keyboard.
Singapore Student Learning Space
As part of its commitment to nurturing future-ready learners, the Ministry of Education had announced that all students in Singapore schools will be supported in their learning by the Singapore Student Learning Space (SLS), an online learning platform that contains curriculum-aligned resources and learning tools. From March 2018, all students in Katong Convent can access to these resources and will be able to learn anytime, anywhere.
ICT Lessons For Lower Secondary Students
All Sec 1 and 2 students will be involved in a subject-based project where they will learn and apply relevant ICT skills to source accurately for information, collaborate online with their peers and present their final product in digital format.
During these lessons, students are encouraged to explore, learn, track their own progress using relevant ICT applications to enhance their project work.
Updated: 6 June 2019